Thursday, June 29, 2006

Call to Prayer

July 7 marks exactly seven months since my original diagnosis. At that time, the doctor's prognosis was that I had "seven to nine months" mean lifespan.

While I don't read too much into that prognosis, this date is, for me, a significant and important milestone. I'm planning to have a celebratory dinner with the family on July 7, as an expression of faith and trust in the Lord.

The last week has been for me, however, a very difficult time. My health took a bit of a nosedive, and while I've rallied OK (no need to go into hospital, for example), it has still shaken me a little. There were a couple of days where I really struggled emotionally with thoughts of "maybe this is it", but then I rebuked myself for my faithless thinking and rehearsed again the promises of God that He has personally given me.

Partly, I think, the reason for this downturn was that I am approaching the July 7 milestone. Psychologically, it is a very important date for me. And guess what: our enemy also knows this. So I believe that, at least in part, this has been a spiritual attack on my health. And the moment I recognised that, my attitude changed and I began to respond to the symptoms differently...in faith, rather than in fear.

I ask you, however, to join me in prayer for this next couple of weeks. I really believe that this is an important juncture in my life, and in the narrative of my healing.

The first major goal I have is to be able to preach this coming Sunday (at both the 11am and 6pm services). I originally was to preach last Sunday, but my health was not up to it.

The second major goal is the July 7 celebration. I don't know what the Lord has in store, but I'm asking for the best and the highest. Not just improved health, but perfect health. As I often say, the timetable is up to the Lord, but my study of Scripture shows that the Lord quite often adjusts His timetable according to the prayers of His people (note John 2:1-11). After all, the Lord has invited us to ask (Matthew 7:7-8; Philippians 4:6) and thus He often limits His action to give us the opportunity to ask (James 4:2).

Here are a few of my symptoms to bear in mind when you pray:
  • Pain - This has been increasing over the last month, and I've had to upgrade my prescription from 40mg of Oxycontin per day to 80mg. I'm still struggling somewhat with pain (I need to frequently take Endone for "breakthrough pain"), and so if this doesn't change soon, it looks like I'll need to increase my dosage, once again, up to 120mg per day.

  • Weight - My weight stablised after my trip to Hong Kong at around 72kg (this is 3kg less than when I got married, 20 years ago, so not too bad ;-). But recently my weight began dropping again, and has stabilised now at 68kg.

  • Illness - This is harder to describe. I often have a general sense of ill health -- but not necessarily nausea. Fatigue is a continuing problem. My stomach often rumbles, at length, as if I have excess gas, and this is often, although not always, accompanied by pain. In extreme situations, I will also feel extremely cold and need to wrap myself up. Symptom are often the worse for a couple of hours after waking.

  • Sleep - My sleeping patterns are very erratic, mainly due to the Oxycontin. I'll sometimes sleep through the night, but more often than not, I'll be up all night (even though very sleepy) and manage to get to sleep maybe at 5 am or 7 am, or sometimes even much later in the morning. Then I'll sleep through much of the rest of the day. I'll also sometimes catch snatches of sleep throughout the day or night (every day seems to be a little different). I've learned to adjust, however, to this, and so I try to use the time I'm awake as productively as I can. It would definitely be nice, though, to get back into a normal sleep routine.

All of these are just symptoms. But the promise of God overrides not only the symptoms, but also the underlying cause. So let's also keep in mind the promise of Ephesians 3:20, which says:
    "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."
    Thank you for joining me in prayer and intercession over this next two weeks. Let's look to the Lord for His wisdom and healing grace.

    Every blessing in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 1:3),

    David Collins




    *** Join the Prayer Firewall team!
    *** Write to prayerfirewall@gmail.com

    2 Comments:

    At 7:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just like pain is a symptom, so is faith a symptom of our love and trust in the Lord. God has given you a promise David. You have a destiny yet to be fulfilled. We continue to stand with you. Have a great day on July 7th.

    All our love, Stan & Dot

     
    At 11:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear David,
    I do not know you personally but I am one of the students of the OBC. I live in Italy and I just want you to know that I am praying for you and for your family.
    I am so grateful to God for what I have learned from youj in the past and for what I am still learning.
    You have been an example to me also in this hard experience you have to face.
    Thanks so much for all you have done for me. I give glory to God for you!
    I wish I could do more for you and your family, but I can only pray and I am doing it.
    Love in Christ

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home